Why eating a nutritious breakfast is so important
Starting your day with a nutritious breakfast is important for wellbeing and maintaining weight.
Breakfast helps to kick start your body’s metabolism, firing up its engines for work, school and play. The right kind of breakfast delivers:
- Energy, vitamins, minerals and protein
- The benefit of wholegrains and fibre
- A drink for hydration
A good breakfast has been shown to help improve focus and concentration in school children. It also provides important vitamins and minerals that may not be compensated in other meals if we skip it. Eating a Fortified breakfast cereal with milk has been shown to improve children’s chances of meeting their daily requirements for essential nutrients including Vitamin A, B vitamins, calcium and iron, all of which are critical for their growth and development.
Studies show that people who eat more wholegrain:
- Tend to have a lower BMI
- Are more likely to have a normal weight
- Are more likely to maintain their weight over time
- Are more likely to have a smaller waist
All UNCLE TOBYS breakfast cereals are guaranteed to be made with wholegrain, which means they include all three elements of the wholegrain intact. Enjoy the benefits of a nutritious breakfast and the goodness of wholegrains with UNCLE TOBYS.
To start the day in the best possible way include these items in your breakfast meal:
1. Some complex carbohydrates like wholegrain breakfast cereals for energy, essential nutrients, and fibre for regularity.
2. Dairy foods rich in calcium to help build bone mass and maintain teeth and bones (or a dairy alternative fortified with calcium).
3. A portion of fruit for essential vitamins and minerals.
4. A drink to keep hydrated and alert.
- Albertson et al. (2003) J. Am Diet Assoc.; 103: 1613-1619
- Eldridge et al. (2002) Am J. Clin Nutri.75:3635
- Preziosi et al. (1999) JACN, 18 : 171-8
- Carson et al. (1999) Cereal Foods World, 44:414-22
- Albertson AM et al (2001a) Obes Res 9 (supp 3); 183S